Friday, August 29

Carpe Diem...


"Et si la vie n'est qu'une cause perdue - and if life is nothing but a lost cause
Mon âme est libre d'y avoir au moins cru - my soul is free because at least I believed in it "

The excerpt from Walden (below) mirrors the motto of the two lines that are taken from the song A corps perdu. They both bear the same message - seize the day.
Thoreau's words are sort of my motto.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. [...] I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, [...]."
[Henry David Thoreau, Walden ]

---------------------------------------

I wrote the following a while ago:

We're Fiddlers on a roof...the abyss right next to our feet...
the question isn't 'if' we fall, but 'when.' We naturally assume that we have many years in front of us...an eternity, while we may have less than a minute. The abyss is right there...only we refuse to face it, as it is terrifying to acknowledge that we are only leaves whirled around by the tempest, with no control over our fate. Whenever the wind will ripp us off the tree...no matter how hard we'll try, we won't hold on to the branch.
If we looked into this abyss more often - or if we at least fully acknowledged its existance, maybe we would be more content with what we have, more at peace with ourselves and with others. If the people of this world truly realized how fast this cruel-crazy-beautiful trip called life can be over...as fast as a shooting star fizzling out...they wouldn't waste their lives hating, killing, envying, hurting one another.They'd be happy to just - be ...

To life...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'est vrai on se rend vraiment pas compte que la vie peut s'arrêter à tout moment !
Donc Carpe Diem !

Hi, I'm Rita said...

Hi Stone, i said I'd stop by so here I am. It's important to enjoy life and to be willing to live it to the fullest. I wrote on my blog earlier today about accepting the gift of life and living to the fullest. I have met people who haven't had the luxury that we do. People who are in hospitals and know that they are going to die. Somehow they still live their lives to the fullest and that's so inspirational.

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful!

I always try to live in the here and now (it's probably why I have a big snake tattooed on my ankle LOL who cares how it'll look in 40 years). Because all we truly have is the here and now. It is in my blood to have a good taste for melancholy, but I never let it get the best of me. Because we simply can't go back to the past and change it or relive it. And we can't go in the future to live better than we did or are doing. All we can do is make the best of here and now, and it's the only way to truly live in my opinion.

As for hatred, killing, envying and hurting... I gave up on that when I chose my faith (paganism, actually). I truly believe that you get what you give. And so, no matter how bad people have hurt me in the past - I have forgiven them on the spot and moved on. And sometimes, when I wish my life were different... I always remember that it is not about having someone else's life (envy), it is about what you make of your own life. Envying people, hurting them, is fruitless. It is not the kind of person I want to be. I don't want people around me who tolerate someone who is like that. Because the world is too fascinating to keep a small focus.

Thank you for this inspiring post, Stone *hug*

Anonymous said...

Hi Rita :-)

Welcome!

I know what you mean, I SO know what you mean...first hand...
My father died of ALS (motor neuron disease) a couple of years ago.
I so know how it feels...your priorities change completely after such an experience.
Already the illness and the death of my grand-father more than 25 years ago made me realize to the fullest that our days are numbered.

How does the saying go...'sing like there's nobody listening and dance like there's nobody watching.'

Thanks for your input!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Nell...

It'll look like a very OLD snake, you know (hahahaha ;-)

Thanx for the hug...hug back at you :-)
I totally agree with you...envy is the stupidest feeling...

Paganism, that sounds interesting...can you explain it a bit?

Hi, I'm Rita said...

Stone I had no idea :( I'm so sorry about your father and your grandfather. It hurts so much to lose someone you love. It makes you realize how important life really is. I hope your feeling better.

Nell said...

Stone I am so sorry you had to lose your father like that *hug* I don't know how I'll deal with it if I lose either of my parents - they are my best friends.... big hug for you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the hugs!!

It's been a couple of years, but I can't say I'm over it...I probably never will be.

It's not so much the loss per se... it's seeing someone you love desperately suffer - without being able to help or ease the person's pain; and ALS is such a cruel disease.
I was trying to "act naturally", being extra-up-beat when I was around my father...but inside, my heart was breaking.
It looked as if I was smiling, talking and walking normally, but in fact, I was rolling on the floor screaming at the top of my voice - all inside, silently.

Most people don't know what ALS is, it's hard to explain what you're going through as a relative when people have never heard of the disease.
One day, when I have the strength, I might talk about my father and his ordeal on my blog - I guess for now, I'm not ready yet, it's still too painful.

I would just love to see *in my lifetime*, some type of treatment or cure against this horrendous disease...but I doubt I will...as research doesn't pay off for the big pharmaceutical companies.
Cruel, but true...it's all about money in the end, isn't it?