In light of the somewhat 'delicious' sonnet by Anne Rettenberg (below), I am re-posting a comment I left on Emma Forrest's blog.
It's about the courage to be ourselves, the courage to accept and embrace our so-called "imperfections":

"It's in our hands I believe [...] do we collectively succumb to the rigid beauty standarts of today, an almost "totalitarian" beauty regime, or do we have the courage to be OURSELVES, flawed, with less than perfect teeth, thin hair, a few pounds too many, but maybe happier in the heart?
Maybe we could use some of these endless hours we invest into "looks maintenance" - on the treadmill and other torture devices, in beauty salons, on diet (I don't know how many of my girlfriends are constantly dieting...) - more wisely...by hanging out with our friends, by eating Belgian chocolate, enjoying life as such, by accepting our "imperfections" and making peace with ourselves."
To Belgian chocolate...:-)

15 comments:
Right on Stone!
I'm fed up with comparing myself all the time. I grew up the black sheep of my famly. I was long and lanky while they all (and I mean all) were quite shapely. Sometimes I'll still curse my absent bosom (and other stuff I won't detail) when trying on clothes and such. But as I've grown, I've come to accept my imperfections and I can even joke about here or there. I barely spend much time in the mirror.
*Eyes*
...or primping myself too much. I just let it flow. What I do spend some of my time doing is kicking back, watching movies and having those many, MANY days where I eat what I want without calorie counting like some I know. I often tell these people to just turn it down a notch and enjoy themselves for once!
*Eyes*
What I don't understand is the waxing craze. I have never had a bikini wax. The idea of someone dripping hot wax on my genitals doesn't appeal to me. I used to have my eyebrows waxed and that was unpleasant enough. I also don't know why people spend so much money and time on manicures/pedicures when you can do it at home. I do think exercise is important for well being though. And it allows one to eat more doughnuts and chocolate ;)
Hi there, girls :-)
Can I recommend "Neuhaus" or "Leonidas" chocolates ;-)
Seriously, we are putting ourselves under SO much pressure...why?!? And the waxing craze...geee...what's that all about anyway...
Elizabeth...your sonnet really sounds delicous :-)
That's why I posted the 'sepia' pic (not the rose, the one above). It was taken in Bruxelles, in the "Galléries de la Reine" - there is ONE chocolate shop after the other!!! What a feast!
"The idea of someone dripping hot wax on my genitals doesn't appeal to me."
Elizabeth, that's too funny. I've never been waxed down there either. I've only tried eyebrows myself. And I totally agree about exercising. We all need cardio, period and it makes for a healthy heart...plus the enjoyment of donuts, chocolate and more chocolate!
(A short poem)
Imperfect...
strip my layers
go beneath my skin
what shall you find
an imperfect flower within
craving social acceptance
a desire to fit in
see past my faults
or leave me in a state of chagrin
Ahhhhh...thanks so much :-)
Under which name shall I post it? Akilah Sakai?
BTW, that's a REALLY interesting name! Where does it come from?
PS: I'm curious regarding your name because I'm a linguist...out of "professional interest" so to speak :-)
Thanks for asking Stone.
My first name is Arabic. My mom found it in a book of names. It means “intelligent, one who reasons.” Sakai is Japanese and she actually heard it on a TV show (“Hawaii Five-O” I believe) but unfortunately I don’t know the meaning.
As far as pronouncing it goes: Ah-Kee-lah + Sah-ki (rhymes with sky).
This is lovely!
So these are your 2 first names?
It's my first name and middle name. I thought the 2 sounded nice together instead of just my first name alone.
It does sound very interesting!!
How do you like your entry :-)
I feel very thankful you even wanted to put it up! I'm going to have to brag to my friends that I was bestowed the honor of 'guest blogger.' LOL!
Hahahaha...LOL...not that I'm anyone "important" or famous *grins*...:-)
But, hey, it's fun to have you guys! And I can brag about the many creative people I know ;-)
PS: I just realized that I had taken the photo in The Hague (NL), not in Brussels...the stuff in the shops there is however similarly delicious :-)
Post a Comment