Wednesday, November 5

I have a Dream...


I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'est beau l'evolution !
Il doit être heureux de la où il est son combat n'est pas vain.

La voix de cet homme me prendra toujours aux tripes.

*Akilah Sakai* said...

*applause*

Anonymous said...

Yes. What Akilah said. :)

Stone said...

I just read the 'Independent' and there was a lovely cartoon - Heaven, an elderly lady says: "Mr. Luther King...I'm the grand-mother of a lad called Barack...remember that dream you once had?"

So many elderly African-Americans were utterly moved when they cast their vote for a "black" candidate...I found this *incredibly* touching...
It's a victory of democratic values over dogma and ideology, and it's a victory for the African-American community that was long over-due.

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Aw, really Stone? That cartoon must be quite adorable.

Oh, and I meant to say *thunderous applause* up above.

Stone said...

LOL...OK, thunderous!

But seriously, this is such a victory for Martin Luther King and many many others before and after him...
I also read that Jay-Z said (I hope that's the guy's name...he's a rap star, that's all I know LOL)...he said that MLK *walked* so Obama could *run* and that Obama will *run* so that one day you'll *fly*...

I have a soft spot for the "so-called underdog" I guess because that's how I see myself...blacks have too long been the underdog...and Rodney King wasn't in the 50s.
I am as delighted about Obama's election as I was back when Mandela was inaugurated...I had seen "Cry Freedom" - the film about Steven Biko and I had also read the book by Donald Woods.
On the last pages of the book, there was an endless list of black prisoners who had died in prison during the Apartheid regime - murders thinly veiled as suicides or accidents.
The list was endless...
The day Mandela was inaugurated I couldn't help but think of all these people, all these men and women...and I cried of joy, because they had finally achived their goal...they had finally achieved *justice*...and I kept thinking...you didn't die in vain.

MLK didn't die in vain at least - even though his death is more than tragic - but he was one of the milestones on the road to freedom and equality and I'm positive that Obama's election will be the last major impetus for integration and equality...just as MLK said...people won't be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character...you're almost there!!! What a triomph!

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Nice, isn't it?

The version I heard started with Rosa Parks:

Rosa sat so Martin could walk. Martin walked so Obama could run. Obama is running so our children can fly.

MartiniCocoa said...

feels good doesn't it?

Stone said...

It does...even here in Europe!