Saturday, November 15


I have a really nasty little virus at the moment - that's the main reason why I haven't been in touch lately (in case anybody missed me LOL)...
Do you know this feeling, when you're actually glad that you're sick, because you finally have the time to call someone, to read a book, to watch a movie...
My last couple of weeks have been so strenuous that I highly welcome this nasty little virus although it includes head aches, coughing, sneezing, and a fricking sore throat (drinking water burns like Hell...I wonder what a Thai Curry would feel like :)
BTW...movies...I've finally been able to see In Bruges...and I really liked it...plus Bruges is THE perfect backdrop for any likeably quirky "low-budget" movie - European style (as opposed to *Eurotrash* LOL).
When I'm back in shape, I'll post some pics that I took in Bruges a couple of years ago.
It's a truly lovely place, yet, at the same time it doesn't feel like a *real* place, like a place that continues to exist once the hordes of tourists leave the magnificent scenery...I never stayed in Bruges longer than a day; that's probably why it felt like they were going to close shop once we had left the area...
Bruges already felt like a movie set before anybody used it as a movie set - the cobble stone streets, the canals, the medieval churches and mansions and us collectively playing the part of the tourists - duefully standing in line for a boat trip through the canals or for a cup of hot Belgian chocolate for that matter.
I still can't quite imagine that *real* people live in this place...that they live, work and sleep in these medieval stone houses...
There's a shopping high street in Bruges, and honestly, that was the ONLY place that hinted at the fact that Bruges was *real* place, with *real* people...

16 comments:

Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

I missed you!
I definitely want to do more traveling in Europe. 2009!
I liked "In Bruges" a lot mainly because it was original. It just didn't take the usual paths Hollywood films do.
I just saw the latest Bond film...better than I thought it would be...wrote a short review on my blog..

Anonymous said...

OMG- I loved that movie. I would love to visit that place. I saw it with a friend who is from Paris and had been there and said it is great for a weekend getaway.

I know what you mean about getting sick. Scary that is what it takes to relax and not feel guilty.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stone
Like you I have had a really busy/ awful time lately.

Have infection that I cannot get rid of. Baby boy fell and broke arm.

I loved in Bruges Brendan Gleeson is really great. The place is beautiful I'd love to go there sit in one of the squares and drink coffee with really good chocolate.

Word verification: Zaturn brother of planet Saturn.

Stone said...

**I missed you!**

Awww...that feels NICE !!!
You intend to travel Europe in 2009...what a lovely idea...let me know when and we can meet up somewhere (Paris for instance is just a 3 hr drive for me), my hometown is HIGHLY interesting (Roman sites, Karl Marx etc...there are even Celtic sites in the area)...

**I liked "In Bruges" a lot mainly because it was original**

Yep...original, authentic (at least when it comes to the acting) and human...I don't know how else to describe it, but strangely enough, I cared for these two guys, despite the fact that they were brutal killers...that's a paradoxon, yet this paradoxon miraculously worked in that movie....

Stone said...

Hi bernthis (interesting name btw...you're not referring to "burn this" are you :)

**Scary that is what it takes to relax and not feel guilty.**
It is...but that's the point...when you're sick you don't feel guilty!! I'm relieved to know that it's the same for you on the other side of the pond...
I guess there is something wrong with our societies if people cannot allow themselves (or cannot afford) to just relax and enjoy the moment...maybe that's why so many people suffer from burn out and other stress related deseases...and once your health is fucked, we maintain the miserable rest thanx to modern science...that's kind of crazy, isn't it...

Regarding Bruges...if you ever have the chance (say, you're in Brussels), go visit Bruges...it's magnificent...in an intimidating way :)

Stone said...

Hi Cleo,

**Have infection that I cannot get rid of. Baby boy fell and broke arm.**

Oh shit...he broke his arm...how bad is it?
And you have an infection...like a cold or something? That's the thing...when you don't have the time to recuperate...I had a bug for 2 or 3 weeks...I was pulling myself together because it so wasn't the right moment to be sick (well, in all honesty, it never is!)...I wasn't really sick, but I wasn't well either...so I kept schlepping myself along, to school and back - I was so worn out that I always had to rest after school....result, I had to prepare most of my stuff (including the marking) over the weekend...I haven't had a day off in 3 weeks...last wednesday, I got sick like a dog...I guess it was my body shouting "Go to bed and get some fricking sleep!!" LOL

I so understand you...although...I don't have kids, that makes everything a million times more difficult...as you NEVER have a day off...not even a moment...
Can your in-laws help you out maybe...?

**Word verification: Zaturn brother of planet Saturn.**

LMAO!!!

Bruges...café and Belgian chocotate...sounds good to me...maybe we can all meet up there...Elizabeth didn't you have the intention of travelling Europe :), Nell...what about you, Akilah?
Yep...good idea, Cleo!!

Listen, all the best...btw, if you want to email me: stone.p69@googlemail.com

Take
care!

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Hey Stone!

Yes, you have been missed greatly. Sorry to hear you were sick. I dragged my kids to their pediatrician as early as possible to get their flu shots. My daughter never gets sick anyway, but my son does. I'm glad you finally saw "In Bruges"! That town sure does look gorgeous!

Cleo,
Ouch! I hope your little boy is okay. Here I am constantly staring at my boys eye when yours has broken a bone!! My daughter and her cousin decided to wrestle over a tv remote while at Gandma's house and she fell, knee-first, into his eye. He screamed bloody murder! It's bruised a little but thankfully not too bad. How is your little one feeling today Cleo?

Stone said...

Gawd...that sounds awful, Akilah!!

I was missed *greatly*...ahhhh...that REALLY feels nice!

Yeah...I'm glad I finally managed to see the movie...a colleague of mine watched it too (haven't spoken to him since, so I don't know if/how he liked it). He had also recently been in Bruges and watched it chiefly because he'd just visited Bruges.
That's the main reason I rented the movie in the 1st place...but I have to say, it wasn't a let-down...absolutely not!
I liked it a lot...including the acting...put a certain Colin Farrell on my list of actors to watch out for...I can't really say that he was on that list beforehand LOL :-)

I'll post some pics of Gent/Gand some other time...

Anonymous said...

Hi Akilah
He's much better today.

When they were taking the x-rays he kept saying cheese because I had told him they were vtalking photos of him.

I left him on the couch today surrounded by Winnie the Pooh, Mickey mouse and tigger. So, he's well taken care of.

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Glad to hear that Cleo.

He's too cute! He said "cheese" for his x-rays! That is just so adorable!

Dihya said...

Oui moi tu m'as manquer ^^
Lol oui je connais bien ce sentiment , tout le monde te fous la paix...
J'ai beaucoup aimer ce film mais bizarrement je le trouve pas si trash lol , je doit avoir un coté cynique ultra developper, je l'ai trouve tres "humains" ces personnages... C'est la folie humaines.

Stone said...

He said *cheese*..now how cute is that :-)
I love tigger and Winnie the Pooh...(will I ever grow up..........nope :)

Stone said...

Salut Dihya!
Comment vas-tu? Je t'ai manquée...c'est tellement cute :) Franchement...je suis hors-ligne pour quelques jours...c'est vraiment chouette d'entendre ca :-)

Par rapport au film...écoute, je l'ai bien aimé...adoré plutôt...il est génial ce film. Et je suis complètement d'accord avec toi...les personnages sont hyper human...c'est un film très touchant avec des acteurs qui 'habitent' leurs personnages...c'est rare...je trouve ce film pas du tout cynique...un peu "graphique" parfois par rapport au sang...LOL...mais sinon, il est vraiment réussi - sur toute la ligne. Et je dis ca rarement ces jours-ci.

Merci de ta visite!

Dihya said...

Je vais bien, merci de demander ^^ contente de lire tes news :)

Oui les films qui accrochent se font rare, surtout que j'etais en colère en france il est sortit bien tard ( a peu prés en mm tps que la sortie du dvd au U.S, on peut pas faire pir )

Une chose à dire : bcp plus de film comme celui la ! En plus je suis ravi ils ont pas mal de nomination dans une ceremonie anglaise ^^ ( j'espère qu'ils vont tout rafler )

Stone said...

Ah bon...quelle cérémonie? C'est mérité de toute facon...il y a autant de films merdiques parfois...

Dihya said...

Ah ouai on en ai envahis :s !

Si mes souvenirs sont bon la ceremonie est "THE BRITISH INDEPENDENT FILM AWARD"