Friday, November 7

London Part Two...
























































































After posting pics of 'traditional' London, I thought I would also like to show you some pics of 'modern' London.



19 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are 7 and 9? Fascinating structures. I haven't gotten to London yet. Enjoy seeing your pictures, as always. xo

Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Nice pics. They make the buildings look impressive!

*Akilah Sakai* said...

The leaning egg-like building and the pointy cone-like building are architectural masterpieces...

Hmm...I've said a mouthful. Ha! Very nice Stone! Every time I see London pics, it's usually the much older buildings, which are beautiful as well. But I rarely see the city's skyscrapers and such!

Stone said...

***...it's usually the much older buildings, which are beautiful as well. But I rarely see the city's skyscrapers and such!***

That's why I posted these....when people think of London, they think of Tower Bridge, Trafalgar Square etc...they rarely think of skyscrapers, but they're right there:)
I'd taken half of the pics in the "Docklands" (the ones with the clocks for instance).

The two buildings you mentioned Kai and Akilah were both designed by the same architect...Sir Norman Foster. The cone-building is called "Gherkin", the other one is the London City Hall...there is one photot that I took inside the City Hall...
Interestingly, Norman Foster also designed the dome on the Reichstag building in Berlin - I had posted a pic of the dome (from inside the dome to be precise) in my *Berlin-Berlin* thread...it's bloody amazing!

Thanx for your compliments :-)

PS: I went to the Docklands to see some of the buildings that feature in the movie "28 Days Later"...as I had posted my pics last night (of which 4 or 5 show buildings that feature in the movie) I turned on my TV and guess what was on..."28 Days Later"...honestly, I swear, I kid you not...life is crazy sometimes :-)

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Yeah, strange. My father-in-law would find numbers to represent that coincidence and use them to play the lotto. LOL! He's so cute! He always missing by only one number!

Hmm...and who was that in "28 Days Later"? Brendan Gleeson!! ;)

Stone said...

***He always missing by only one number!***

You gotta be kidding..seriously! LOL...

Yep, Brendan Gleeson AAAANNND Cilian Murphy! I had seen him in "Breakfast on Pluto" and I thought he was absolutely stunning - what a stellar performance!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stone
Brendan Gleeson and Cillian Murphy are doing a new film together in Dublin in October by Rowe. If you like Cillian Murphy you should see sunshine he's really good in it.

I love Cillian Murphy I think he's a brill actor and really good man.

Anonymous said...

P.S
Love the photos I would pay for photos of that quality. You have a really good eye, they're really professional.

Anonymous said...

Encor beaucoup de photos qui donne envie ^^
Je suis rarement emerveiller par les immeubles contemporain mais ce la sont plaisant !

Stone said...

Hi Cleo, thanx for the info!!! I have "Sunshine" on DVD and I absolutely LOVED the movie...a) I like good SciFi and b) I really like Cilian Murphy as an actor.
I discovered him in "Breakfast on Pluto"...accidentally (I had seen "The Crying Game" back then and I thought it had a similar concept...I have to say that I like "The Crying Game" much better, but the performance of Cilian Murphy alone was SO very worth while!!! Stellar!!! Plus Brendan Gleeson was absolutely hillarious in that one too). BTW, I have also seen "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" with C. Murphy...what a sad film, how incredibly sad...

***Love the photos I would pay for photos of that quality.***

Are you serious?? Wow...I guess my head has just expanded quite a bit...LOL.
So you think an exhibition wouldn't be too pretentious? :-)


Salut Dihya! Merci de ton compliment :-)
Tu sais, j'avais pensé que les gens connaissent surtout la partie "traditionnelle" de Londres, mais beaucoup moins le côté moderne de Londres...en plus, le film "28 jours plus tard" m'avait inspiré d'aller voir les Docklands où une grande partie des photos ont été prises...j'adore la photographie :-)

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Hey, what do ya' know! I love Cillian Murphy as well. He's very, very talented.

So far I've seen:
"28 Days Later".
"Sunshine"
"The Wind that Shakes the Barley"
"Intermission"
"Red Eye"
"Girl With a Pearl Earring"
"Batman Begins"
"The Dark Knight" (Batman sequel)
"Disco Pigs"

"Breakfast on Pluto" is on my rental list at Blockbuster.com. Yeah, I'm just a "tiny" fan of Cilly & those stunning eyes. ;)

Stone said...

I *L*O*V*E* "Girl With a Pearl Earring"...I just love it...btw, the movie was shot in Luxembourg - 30 km from where I live...
Back then in 2003, they were looking for extras for a period film that was to be made in Luxembourg...they were handing out flyers at my uni...and I remember thinking...nahhh...what kind of movie are they possibly gonna shoot in fricking "Luxembourg"...probably some 'straight-to-video' crap...
LITTLE did I know...it was...tatatata..."Girl with a Pearl Earring"....banging-head-against-wall BIG time!!!
My friend who lives in Delft had told me back then that they were shooting a movie in her town (yep, you guessed it) - they only shot for a day in Delft and the rest was shot in Luxembourg...and I remember how she talked about the scenes that were taken on the market square.
When I rented the movie and watched the making of (it was really worth while with this one!), I learned that a) the movie had been shot almost entirely in Luxembourg - just around the corner and yes, it was for that movie that they had been looking for bloody extras!!!
and b) that the fricking painting [the Girl with a Pearl Earring!!] that I so wanted to see was in The Hague (where I had spent like 2 weeks in 2004!!) and NOT in bloody Amsterdam...I was in The Hague a year prior to seeing the movie and I missed out on the Vermeer paintings in the Maurits Huis (an art gallery that features the famous painting).
I can tell ya...that was the most *frustrating* making of I've ever seen in my life.

BTW...I saw the painting this summer when I paid my friend in Delft another visit...

LOL....yep...yep...I might have been an extra if only I had cared to sign up for it...but back then I couldn't imagine that ANYONE would shoot a fricking movie in bloody Luxembourg (btw at that time, I worked in Luxembourg as a freelance ...that really tops it off, and I believe that I even drove past the area where the fricking studios are....arrgglll)...

They also shot "Shadow of the Vampire" and "The Merchant of Venice" there...so...Hollyweird is just around the corner...LOL

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Geez Stone!! I won't say anything to further rub it in. LOL! I know you were kicking yourself.

But I'm glad to hear you did get to see the painting eventually.

Stone said...

***I won't say anything to further rub it in.***

LOL Akilah :) But your fngers were itching, weren't they...LOL

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Oh yeah, they sure were. ;)

Nell said...

God I love London. I am truly madly deeply IN LOVE with London. Everything about it, including the dodgy neighbourhoods. It's glorious.

And so are your pictures!! Thank you for sharing, Stone!

Dihya said...

*28 jours plus tard*
Classe !

J'ai honte j'ai jamais vu ce film ca reprensente un peut trop mes phobies !! je cogite tout le temps aprés ce genre de film .

Stone said...

***I am truly madly deeply IN LOVE with London.***

Ditto, Nell...BTW, that's the title of a movie I absolutely LOVED..."Truly, Madly, Deeply"...loved it!

And thanx for your compliment!

Stone said...

Salut Dihya,

Je peux te recommander ce film fortement...mais attention, il est parfois un peu...graphique :)