Tuesday, January 13
There's probably no God.
Now stop worrying and enjoy your life!
[the British Humanist Association]
I don't know if I subscribe to this motto - I don't know what to believe actually, but I just found this quote amazing.
For several reasons...
A) So many horrendous acts have been committed and continue to be commited in the name of God and/or are motivated by various religious dogmas/ideologies (the Crusades, the holy Inquisition, wars, wars wars).
B) Many of these acts are based on the belief in an after-life (either martyrs will be compensated for their acts in said after-life, or else, those who perish don't really perish as they too will be granted eternal life in paradise). If people actually believed that this life was all we have, they might be less willing to throw it away so thoughtlessly.
C) Most people don't live in the "here and now"...they either worry about their future or they hold on to their past. It might be this idea of an after-life (that the best is still to come - after THIS life) that sub-consciously drives a lot of people to be neglectant and careless with regard to THIS life. If we acknowledged the possibility that the time we have on this planet is THE ONLY time we have, the only shot we have, maybe we would use our time more wisely instead of wasting so much of our life time.
As I've said above, I don't know what to believe...I guess we'll have to wait and see :)
I just found this motto to be very thought provoking...and let's just assume it's true...that there is no God, if just for the sake of argument...what difference would it make...regarding your mindset, your lives...just think about it.
Food for thought...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
Food for thought? It's a huge meal my dear.
I don't believe I will be reincarnated and I think this is it but I still don't "jump" at what I want. Great post ... makes me realize a lot that is wrong here, there, and everywhere for that matter.
Doc walks in and says "You have cancer and it's bad." Then all the tears, regrets, and shoulda-woulda-coulda's begin. Carpe Diem is thrown about but not followed through.
I know that I am wasting my freakin' time like I can't possibly get in a car wreck next week! Next year!
I think I lack a confidence chip big time (plus I am a little bit anti-social). But, we said 2009 is "ours" so ... it's time for a fresh new outlook on life. And it's not just what I want for myself, but even when the kids say "One more story" I shouldn't say no. Cherish the time you have and make the most of it because we're on borrowed time.
Ditto Akilah.
Hmmm... something to think about! Love your blog!
I actually think about my mortality frequently. I don't want to die with regrets.
Really, Elizabeth? That's good. I think about it here and there and will think about it moreso these days for sure (and build more confidence along the way of course - have kids I want to raise the best I can, so floppy confidence won't do.)
Stone! You're back with a bang! Hugs. I do believe in God and when I'm asked why, the only explanation I have is that I just KNOW at my core that God exists as surely as I do. I guess you can take the girl out of the church but you can't take the church out of the girl. :)
My favorite explanation for the suffering in the world argument against God relates to the old, old story of Pandora's Box. Pandora as God, the creator. I'm pretty sure I heard this listening to Dr. Pinkola Estes ... but it goes that after Pandora made people, she realized that without suffering and mortality, humans would just be a blob of unconciousness so she opened the box from which she'd brought forth all good things and took out all the ills of the world so we could truly see the good. After all, how do we really and fully experience love and beauty without understanding hate and ugliness? Then, Pandora felt compassion for the ones she'd made and gave us Hope and Faith to get through the sorrows. I've always liked that story. Nice way to redeem poor old Pandora ...
xo
Ah, so that's why Pandora opened the box? I thought it was accidental.
I too believe in God, but aren't wholly religious where I can recite passages from the bible. When I go to church, it's out of respect for my family. Don't ask.
Brilliant post, Stone.
It's one where there's some sadness and happiness to be gained from it.
WORD VERIFICATION: "factrus"
Hmm ... I'd say this is a factrus blog post, wouldn't you?
Etant en constante bagarre avec mon esprit je ne serai te dire si j'y crois ou pas. Je t'avouerai que quand tu entends que des parents ont violé, tuer leur gosses, ca te laisse perplexe, Dieu est sutout devenue la plus grande excuse que l'homme peut avoir.
L'erreur est humaine et l'horreur aussi.
Comme dirai Allen " Si dieu à creer le monde, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse"
Stone I don't know what to say.
I just don't knoe what I believe.
This is one I'll have to think about.
Ditto, Cleo...I don't know either...but I found this motto to be very thought provoking.
It can be found on those doppeldecker busses in London...
I do believe however, that some people would be more appreciative of their lives (religious fanatics for instance) if they didn't believe in an after-life.
**It's a huge meal my dear**
Yep, I know...but it's an intriguing question I find.
Hey, WELCOME to my blog BIBI...nice to see you here, seriously!!
It's good to be aware of your own mortality...but one must keep things in perspective...I think if you think about your mortality all the time (sometimes I do that...because of my father and such), it actually paralyses you...you cannot always be fully aware and live your life to the fullest...it's good to remember it OFTEN enough I would say.
**Comme dirai Allen " Si dieu à creer le monde, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse"**
LMAO Dihya :-) brilliant quote LOL.
Kai, I REALLY like your story.
You see, I don't know what to believe...until my grand-mother's death, I was a "fervent" atheist/agnostic...ever since - after having seen her die - I haven't been so sure about that anymore...I might write a blog post about this, as this is far too complicated to explain in few words...I don't know if I'll ever be able to describe (let alone explain) what I mean...
PS: What does "factrus" mean?!?
LOL! It was one of the Word Verification thingies.
Mix FACT with wondrous I guess ... and you get FACTRUS. As in, your blog post was factrus (aka a great post).
Ok, forget it. ;) It sorta sounded creative last night, maybe not so much anymore.
Post a Comment