I'm re-posting this for a friend of mine, Martina, who is losing her battle with cancer...my thoughts are with her family, her husband, her two daughters and with her...
I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, as to put to rout all that was not life, and not when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
[Henry David Thoreau, Walden]
God bless...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I'm so sorry for your friend ... so very sorry.
After hearing about your friends fight I told you I'm wasting so much time and taking so much for granted and pretty much abusing the phrases "carpe diem" and "life is too short" as I spit this at people left and right, and don't even bother to use it in my everyday life. I long ago discovered that I had not lived...
(I need to call my mom.)
Hi Akilah...
it's the same with me...you know, it sounds so great...Carpe Diem and all, but most of the time, we don't seize anything...
We do take our lives, health etc for granted. Believe me, I'm in the same boat with you...
And sometimes we simply can't seize the day, make the most of our talents, realize all our dreams...there are realities of life, like mortgages, household chores, bills to pay.
I don't think one can always seize the day and appreciate every moment...that's simply unrealistic and yet another fantastic way of putting even MORE PRESSURE on ourselves (look your best, keep a healthy diet, be successful in your job, be a model mom, have a noce house/app, AND seize every moment of your existence...WTF!!).
But...that being said...it's always a wake-up call...an important reminder.
I've already started to think differently about my exams...not that I'm not gonna be nervous and not that I don't care ar all...but I don't bestow so much importance on their outcome...what the fuck am I fighting for...
And I know once her fate is sealed, once she has left this existence (which will most probably be by the end of this week), I will make a holy oath to myself and her...that I will REMEMBER her plight...always...
Take GOOD care of yourself Akilah!!
God bless...
PS...one step at a time and even babysteps can take you where you want/need to go...take it easy!
You always say the best things to make a person feel good or at ease. And yes, it's definitely a wake-up call.
"PS...one step at a time and even babysteps can take you where you want/need to go...take it easy!"
You said it! Abso-fucking-lutely!
Maybe I should become a *guru* LOL...call me YODA, guys LOL
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I take for granted so much and this reminds me that the one thing in life I have wanted to do I have yet to conquer and that is have a positive outlook on life, no matter what. To stop being a victim and instead become a participant.
Your friend has inspired me to do just that, beginning right now
Hi Bernthis,
As sad as this is (and it is sad BEYOND words)...it's a reminder, a wake-up call.
One cannot always enjoy every moment, seize every opportunity, seize day and night...that's simply impossible and the other extreme I think...but...you can always remind yourself of how precious this life is - at least once in a while...and enjoy the good things in life.
How many times do I have a bad conscience because I haven't worked as much as I should have and I had a chat on the phone with a dear friend, or that I spent 10 € on useless stuff like scented soap bars and such instead of saving up for a better purpose.
But you know what...THAT'S LIFE...'cos who am I working for...
My friend hardly ever took the time to enjoy the moment...she was too busy working on her (academic) career...she wanted to finish that book, her habilitation (2nd PHD) etc etc.
Now, she won't ever finish her book or her 2nd PHD because she doesn't have any time left.
I'd rather regret the things that I've done than the tings I haven't done...
It's never too late to begin you know...and as the Chinese say...even the longest path begins with the first step :)
Take care!
I'm so sorry stone. I've just read your blog. God bless.
Thanks for your words, Cleo...
Update - 21/5/2010
Martina left us this morning at 5 o'clock...
May she rest in peace.
God bless...
Post a Comment