Tuesday, October 14

Happy Birthday Freedom...


The 9th November 2009 will mark the 20th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall. I was 20 when the wall came down, but in spite of the years that have passed, I remember this event vividly...
I wasn't in Berlin when it happened, in fact, I hadn't been to Berlin between the eighties and 2006, when the photos below were taken. I was in Berlin in 1985 and 1986, I was even in East Berlin for a day - I saw the Wall in the flesh so-to-speak and never ever, not in a million years, would I have seriously expected this Wall to come down, not in my lifetime...and if so, then not without bloodshed...
The fact that it did come down and above all how the Berlin Wall came down in the end, took everybody by surprise - not only me - but everyone (including the CIA, the KGB, the MI5 and whatever their names were)...
Not one shot rang out during this remarkable night...it was the night of all nights...it was a magical night, a night that made the impossible, the improbable, the unthinkable come true...we went to the land over the rainbow where 'dreams that you dare to dream really do come true' - I wouldn't have dared to dream that dream before it became reality though...
No shot rang out in a place that was once rightfully called the best protected border on the planet...no shot...although the border guards were armed up to their teeth...although the regime had it all worked out - where to bring the injured, the dead - Tiananmen Square part II, this time in East Berlin - different place, same carnage.

Nonetheless, none of this happened, instead, people were dancing on the Wall...without being shot down! Unthinkable even the day before 11/9...
I still don't understand the workings of said night, but suffice it to say that it was a genuine miracle, no more and certainly no less...
The GDR was going down, but still, no one saw this coming - and dictators have a tendency to hold on to their power for as long as possible, regardless of the price...That night though, the GDR just slipped out of their fingers and maybe for the first time in human history, a people demolished a stone wall with their voices alone "Wir sind das Volk, wir sind ein Volk!" [We are the people, we are one people]...like the trumpets of Jericho in the Old Testament...their presence alone made this Wall, this regime, crumble and fall to their feet.
We were in a state of grace on this chilly 9th November 1989 and we were given a tremendous gift that night...freedom...and something more that maybe I alone can feel in my heart, and maybe it's bullocks, but I believe that this event (perhaps even its date - the 9th of November) carries a deeper meaning...too many improbable events have led up to this, too many things that could have gone terribly wrong went right that night...how lucky can you get? This night was meant to be...it almost seems as if someone was watching over us that night...as if someone somewhere was pulling the strings, whispering into the ears of the soldiers "don't shoot, keep calm, don't shoot..."
I believe that we as a country, as a nation, were forgiven that night - by the ones that perished - they reached out to us that night...and then they let us go...in peace.


In light of this...I was incredibly moved when I saw a Menora in front of the Brandenburg Gate right next to a huge Christmas tree [see photo below] that read 'the Jewish community of Berlin wishes everybody Happy Hanukkah'..."They're back" I remember thinking. Like the birds in the spring, after a long cold winter - it was the winter of our discontent - a winter that lasted too long...
The Jewish 'element' was an integral part of German culture, society and wisdom...Gustav Mahler, Felix Mendelssohn-Bartoldy, Heinrich Heine, Albert Einstein just to name a few...we have lost so much that we have yet to regain. Someone once said that the extermination of the Jews was an act of self-mutilation. And that's just what it was. I am delighted to see that they're back, back to where they belong...always belonged.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got tears in me eyes, Stone! That was so full of hope and passion. Beautiful.

I'm hoping for a miracle here in the U.S. on November 4th. As I read, I thought ... you know, it can happen. It really can.

Kai xo

Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

That is a very moving personal account, Stone.
I think I did think that the Berlin Wall would fall eventually. What surprised me more was that the Apartheid regime in South Africa fell and although there was a lot of violence beforehand it didn't fall in an out-and-out bloody revolution. When I think of these events it gives me hope that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict will one day be solved.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it can :-) It really can...
I mean, who in their right mind would have thought that the Berlin Wall would come down...peacefully...that we would go from 40 years of separation to reunification...peacefully! No one...
Honestly, I was *writing* this with tears in my eyes...there is something extremely comforting and conciliatory about this amazing event.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, Elizabeth...I didn't think it would come down - at least not the way it did...I was there and I saw it...I saw the watch towers...the barbed wire fences...there were in fact 2 walls...an inner wall and an outer wall (the 'outer' wall was the one with all the graffiti).
I touched the Brandenburg Gate for the first time in December 2006...as you couldn't get near Brandenburg Gate from either side...it was surrounded by 2 walls...I had seen it from West Berlin and from East Berlin, but there was NO WAY getting near it...
Maybe I didn't believe in it, because I knew what that regime was capable of...compared to the Nazis they seemed like a gang of Kindergarden kids, but the truth is...they weren't any better...just more subtle in their approach.
I recommend the movie "The lives of Others" highly, as it perfectly depicts the workings of that regime.
Yep, events like these do give you hope...

PS: Are you already up in NY? What time is it where you are...7 a. m.?
Have a nice day at any rate :-)

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Touching topic Stone! I really enjoyed reading it. I think I'd left Germany almost 2 years before the wall came down. Before we left, my mom did visit Berlin on a tour and I remember her bringing back my older sister a Berlin Bear. I was a little jealous about her souvenir. When you tilted the bear, a mechanism inside emitted a bear sound. Anyway, I wanted to go to Berlin and I wish she'd taken us so we could have seen the wall.

But yes, 'tis a beautiful thing, the night the wall came down...

Nell said...

That was such a moving post. I loved it so much, Stone, thank you for writing it.

I was two when the wall fell, but even I have some vague yet present memories of at least that period of time. I recall my Polish grandfather crying, because it was finally safe for him to go back "home" again. During the war he fled Poland and ended up in the British army, freeing the Netherlands. The Dutch government promised him the world... but gave him nothing, and didn't help him get back home, and the iron curtain was in the way. He made a new life here, but when the wall fell it all just came out. Years of violence and seperation and anxiety were released for so many when the wall fell. It was such a gesture, such a moment, such a force of nature. As you said so beautifully; someone must have been watching over us.

And you are right... the exterminating of the Jews WAS self-mutilation. I believe all forms of killing are forms of self-mutilation. We are all one species, one whole, one world - and when the wall fell, I imagine, that emotion incarnated into the people taking down the wall. We are one.

And I am crying. LOL

Anonymous said...

***Years of violence and seperation and anxiety - they ended that night! You're absolutely right, Nell!
BTW, have you seen the film "The Lives of Others"? It's brilliant...from A to Z...

You're most welcome btw :-)
I *had* to write it...do you know this feeling? It's not really a choice...it's an urge :D
I was seeing a documentary yesterday, about the events that had led up to the fall of the Berlin Wall...and I just *had* to write something about it...it all seems like yesterday...and I remember things so vividly because it was such an amazing time...the times they were-a changing back then and you could literally "feel it in the air"...

I remember walking out of the house that night...at 4 in the morning...I did nothing but listen, there was NO sound...the world had come to a stillstand...that's at least how it felt...that was the ONLY time in my entire life when I had the 'physical' sensation that the world was standing still...

I'm glad your gand-father lived that day!
Groetjes en vrede!

Anonymous said...

Akilah, these Berlin bears are SO cute!! I promise, if I go back to Berlin, I'll buy one for you :-)

But I think that ypu should go and see Berlin for yourself...it's a gorgeous place...*shitloads* of museums (Bode Museum, Jüdisches Museum, Mauer Museum, Pergamon Museum a.s.o), theaters and galeries :-)

OB, btw, Nell...since you're into 'Alexander the Great' *grins*...I hope you checked out the 'Pergamon Museum' in Berlin...it hosts the "Gate of Ishtar"...one of the four gates of the city of Babylon...and NO, it's not a copy, it's the original...the gate through which Alexander entered the city...:-)

Nell said...

Nope I was 17 and still thinking I would go to Uni and specialize in Medieval History :-( so I missed the gates. I want to see that so bad!

I know exactly what you mean with the urge by the way :-) some things just have to be written down and shared.

Anonymous said...

:-)

Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

I really would like to go to Germany; maybe next year. I have 50,000 frequent flyer miles I can use for Lufthansa.

I know what you mean about "having" to write something. That's how I felt about my last blog post.

I get up early when I do consulting work because it involves travel. And since I've become an internet addict, I find time to go on the computer;-)

Anonymous said...

***And since I've become an internet addict, I find time to go on the computer;-)***

LOL :D

You don't have a cabinet then...to travel to your clients? That sounds exhausting...

If you should come to Germany, let me know!!...maybe we can meet up somewhere.
50 000 miles should do...LOL :-)

Anonymous said...

*You* travel....argglll...I need coffee...

Anonymous said...

PS: A suggestion...why don't we all meet up in Berlin next year...:-)

Elizabeth can have her trip to Germany, Akilah can have her Berlin Bear and Nell can see the Gate of Ishtar, hehehehe...how's that, girls...I'm game at any rate :-)

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Mmm...the day my husband sends me off on a girl's only trip outside the country without having heart palpatations...
;)

Nell said...

Well Berlin isn't too far or expensive for me at all so I think it's a nice idea :-) I also don't have a hubby who has an inevitable opinion ;-) you can always tell him you have a bodyguard/babysitter :-P a 21 year old tattooed virgin LOL

Anonymous said...

C'mon Akilah...we'll be real *nice*...I'll be your governatrix!!! LOL...

I think it's a brilliant idea! Is that a *yes* Nell? We shall make an appointment, let's see who else is joining :-)

Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Sounds good to me!

Married couples need time apart!

Anonymous said...

Yep...I totally agree...:-)

We'll have a blast!!

Anonymous said...

PS: Just one question...how do you put the Blogger logo next to your name?? I haven't figured that one out yet...

*Akilah Sakai* said...

LINK to BLOGGER logos:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=41435


I can't make vacation promises this early on, but hell yes, I am intrigued! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...thanx for the link!

You're intrigued...GOOD!! A Berlin Bear is at stake,ha :)

Anonymous said...

My daughter went on a school trip yesterday to the Newseum (a museum of the news) in Washington DC. She told me that she saw a piece of the Berlin Wall there. "Great" I said. A few minutes later she asked me, "What's the Berlin Wall"? I can't decide if it's good or bad that a generation has gotten to 13 without knowing about the Berlin Wall--its existence and its demise.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Laura,

That's a shame somehow...it's important to remember the past, as much as our past mistakes.

I don't know if she is old enough, but maybe you should watch "the Lives of Others" together...the film pretty much sums it up, plus it's a fantastic movie...one of the best that I've seen in years.
Or better yet "Goodbye Lenin"...maybe that's more fitting for her age group...it's a lovely movie, funny, sad, heartwarming...

Thanx for stopping by...

Anonymous said...

PS: When I mentioned the date of the fall of the Berlin Wall - 11/9 - and its 'deeper meaning', I was alluding to the "Chrystal Night" (Reichskristallnacht) that also took place on a 9th November - in 1938.
As I have said - it might be coincidental - but to me, this "coincidence" has a deeper meaning, a significance.