Tuesday, October 14

Berlin, Berlin...
















































































10 comments:

Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Great photos as always.

Anonymous said...

Thanx :-)
I should've maybe explained where they were taken...
Two were taken inside of the Reichstag dome - it is such an amazing edifice...the last one shows the synagoge that was rebuilt in 1996 (!)...you can only see a hint of it.

*Akilah Sakai* said...

POSITIVELY GORGEOUS!!

Beautiful shots Stone. And a very nice visual to wake up to this morning.

Nell said...

Again, amazing pictures. You are really talented.

Berlin is a gorgeous city. I loved it when I was there. You could make a whole exhibition out of photographs of Berlin when it's Christmas... especially when there is some snow. I was there during Christmas and I just loved the December look and feel to it.

Anonymous said...

Thanx so much girls :-)

You're welcome Akilah *grins*...

When were you there, Nell? I was there in December 2006...it was SOOO gorgeous...my goodness...people even said Berlin reminded them of New York around Christmas...I don't know if that's true, but it was a feast for the senses...

What I found remarkable is the fact that Berlin has recovered so nicely after WW II and the Cold War...the city of Berlin was genuinely disfigured when I saw it for the last time - before returning to Berlin in 2006.
It was simply unbelieveable...standing between the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag...where the Wall had once been...That's yet another Berlin miracle - apart from the fall of the Berlin Wall.

The 'flat-iron building' for instance is situated on Potsdamer Platz...20 years ago, that was no-man's-land between the borders...a desert in the midst of a city.
The photo above the last one shows a brand new building - the pic with the elevators was taken inside...that's where the Wall was...right next to 'Check Point Charly'...Friedrichstrasse...it's all brand new.

Berlin is like Phoenix who rose from the ashes...only that Berlin rose from the ashes twice - after 1945 and after 1989...I still cannot believe how much this place has healed...

Anonymous said...

PS: Can I ask you something, girls...do you think that *some* of my pics would be good enough for an exhibition??
Seriously, I don't have a clue...I always find it pretentious to just contemplate the possibility...
I would appreciate your honest* feedback :-)

* Don't be nice, be honest :D

*Akilah Sakai* said...

I will admit I have never been to an exhibit, save for museums.

Too my untrained eye, HELL YES! They are gorgeous and quite eye catching. But I have no experience in the matter. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanx for the feedback :)

Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Sure, but I have no idea how you would go about doing it...approach galleries I guess?

We have a Flatiron building too...it's in my neighborhood..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your feedback...my first and biggest worry is the question whether my pics are good enough...I mean, I don't want them to laugh in my face :-)

There are places where I could exhibit...nothing grandiose, but it would be a start...at least, I would have realized that dream of mine.

Regarding the flatiron building in your neighborhood...is it the famous one...I know one flatiron building in NY...from photos of course.
What is so amazing about Berlin and said building is that - say 10 years ago, there was basically nothing there...NOTHING...Gawd...we really gotto do this Berlin thingy...