I'm going through a relatively difficult time at the moment.
I have a Master's degree in linguistics and although I have been teaching for the last decade or so (adult/further education and university) I don't have a genuine teacher's degree - a degree that is mandatory if you want to work at a German highschool. Thus, I am doing a 2-year teacher training on top of my classes in order to get said degree...What is so stressful at the moment isn't so much the incredible work load (and it's loads of work - I can tell you), but rather the power games of the instructors...they're right and you're wrong - always - as simple as that. And as I am hopeless as an actress, the look on my face alone gives my disenchantment away... I'm a really bad liar...
That's why I so can't push myself to play their game, to apply methods that I don't believe in, to become someone that I'm not...a carbon copy of them. For me, this training is slowly turning into a nightmare, as it seems to me that I only have the choice between self-denial and failure...
In times like these, it is so easy to lose track of what matters in life...so I'll take a minute and write it down...
I made an experience a couple of years ago...
I was present the day my grand-mother passed away and to say that this day changed my life doesn't even begin to describe the impact that this event had on me. Not only did I realize to the fullest that this life is NOTHING BUT A MIRACLE, but this experience endowed me with a "knowledge" that I cannot quite put into words...I caught a glimpse of the eternal it seems - of something beyond the realm of our every-day perception. I cannot describe what it was, let alone explain it...but, for a brief moment, I grasped the full picture - from outside - 'outside the universe' if you will, and in this picture everything made sense...it made me realize that we're not lost...and there was something 'out there'...something that felt like the very essence of love.
I don't know what it was and to this day I have NO explanation for any of this - suffice it to say that I was agnostic prior to this event...to this day I don't know what to make of it and perhaps I never will, but this experience gave me hope and faith in this life, in this universe.
And it made me understand what life is all about...it's all about love.
Forget money, forget your brilliant career...as cheesy as this sounds, what it really boils down to at the end of the day, at the end of the road, is love. You will be remembered for the love that you have given and the love that you were given.
Love truly is eternal if you look at it...and love defies all laws of nature, as it is the only thing in this universe that is truly abundant, truly eternal...your loved ones may no longer be with you, but their love still lingers on, their love still feeds you...and will continue to feed you.

The photo above shows the vault of Canterbury Cathedral/UK.

2 comments:
I agree. Well we need love; without it people become mentally ill.
I love the photo; I love cathedrals even though I'm not religious at all.
Gorgeous shot once again from Stone!
Damn, that school business sounds really tough! You've got your regular work load and then the degree work load on top of impossible instructors!! F*ck me sideways!! I'd just lose my mind over that!
Nothing I could say would ease that load. When you get free time at work or home, sip tea and look over all of your beautiful photography. Your photos make me smile, so they surely can ease some of your tension...
Post a Comment