Saturday, October 18
Untitled...
Ok ok, this is the 2nd time today that I could enter my blog without *signing in* - strange - but maybe it's the blog telling me that I should write something...LOL. I don't really feel inspired today; yet, at the same time I have the feeling that something is 'boiling in my guts'...something that wants to get out. Do you also know this feeling...you don't know what it is before you begin to write it down and sometimes, in the course of writing, the words that leave your fingertips take a certain shape and when you're done you realize *why* you had to write it...
The last time this happened to me was when I wrote something about my father who died of ALS (Motor Neuron Disease/Lou Gherig's Disease) a couple of years ago. When I started writing my blog entry, I didn't know that the blog would be about him...I was listening to Madeleine Peyroux who was singing Dance Me to the End of Love as the words suddenly started to pour out of my fingertips...and without thinking about grammar, content or style, I just let them float...it started with 'love' and it ended with 'loss'...
Maybe that's what is travailing me at the moment - the thoughts, the worries, the grief that you keep tucked inside - within neatly confined and well hidden places that you don't visit throughout the day - while you're busy at work, or while you're being successfully sedated by your tv set. Grief is a tough labour...it completely devours you, it submerges you...it almost feels like drowning sometimes...your head underneath the waterline...while you're desperate for air...you keep struggling for a while...until it feels easier to let go...to let yourself drown...I've tried to 'function' over the last couple of years...being "the good girl", the reasonable adult - graduating, taking up a teaching job in France, taking up a teaching job at a highschool only recently. At the same time, I've been fighting in these waters for too long...fighting the grief inside...holding back an ocean of tears...carrying the Mount Everest of sadness on my shoulders. It's not that I haven't cried - I guess I have cried a million tears - but perhaps I still haven't cried enough for him...for myself.
Yes, for myself too...seeing somebody you love suffer is unbearable and your glaring helplessness stares back at you whenever you look into the mirror. You feel so pathetic in this part that confines you to being the witness...incapable of being genuinely helpful...I always had the feeling that my best or my all wasn't enough - worst of all - that it was zillions of lightyears away from being enough...I tried to give my all, but my all it seemed pathetically little...I tried my best to "act naturally" around him...and like some really bad over-actor, I smiled too often and sometimes I would laugh hysterically in order to give him the feeling that his disease wasn't a fucking desaster - a desaster I so couldn't deal with. I don't know how believable my act was, but in hindsight, my act was laughably "transparent"...as my despair kept shining through - out-doing my wooden laughter time and again. Sometimes when you smile, you're in fact screaming inside...that's what I was doing for two and a half years...I was screaming my lungs out...inside, behind my wooden smile...
Throughout the course of his disease, I felt like being cast in a tragically absurd movie, the script written in stone - you had no choice but to play your part. The way it was going to end was clear from the onset...there was no way out, no way around it. We knew right from the start what an ordeal it would be, but still, we were nonetheless unprepared for what lay ahead of us...
We all duly played our parts - my father as the terminally ill father, my brother and myself as the helpless and over-burdened 'loved ones'...we played our pathetic little roles until the bitter end, until the grand finale, the dénouement of this sad tragedy of Greek proportions.
As I'm writing this I realize that I'm still mad and furious...how do you get over stuff like this? I think you never really do...but hopefully, you can learn to cope with it...time is a factor (not necessarily a healer)...I know I should simply dive into this ocean...I'm taking small steps though...one at a time...for now, the water reaches up to my ankles...the dark waters I'm facing still don't look very inviting to me...it's dark and it's cold out there and I'm scared...I'll walk a bit further though...maybe once I've waded deep enough into these waters, I'll have the courage to let go, to dive into this ocean without being devoured by it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Like you said Stone, you never really do get over the loss of a parent or loved one whom you were close with. You just learn to cope and it gets easier with time. Their birthday comes up or a holiday and your emotions naturally surge. There's nothing wrong with crying, feeling pain or anger, even if many years have passed. As long as you can go about every day life, it's okay to emote.
Writing surely helps me...it's letting go of some of the pain inside...and sometimes, tears alone won't do the trick anymore...this stuff has helped me more than a thousand tears...
You're right, the pain re-emerges even many years later...
You must have been very close to your father.
I haven't lost a close relative...my ex-boyfriend died from complications from a brain hemorrhage; he was the closest person I know who died (my grandparents died but I wasn't that close to them). It was pretty bad visiting my ex in the hospital and not having him recognize me (we were still friends). But I did feel good about being an advocate for his medical care (he had no living relatives).
I loved him dearly...
and it is not so much the fact that he died, but above all *how* he died...that's what's still tormenting me greatly.
How very kind of you to take care of your ex-boyfriend! It's not an easy task, that much I do know...
eerrr...that was me above...what the heck happened with my name LOL...comic relief I guess :-)
You're very brave, Stone, and this terrible loss hasn't hardened your heart, that's clear. I think writing is one of the best ways to clean out old wounds, allowing them finally to heal. It's good you know to follow that instinct to write it out when you feel it. Keep listening to that voice. I'm so sorry you lost your dad. xo Kai
Thanx for your words, Kai!!
Yes, writing "it out" helps tremendously...I've cried enough tears I guess :)
Yes, it does help...I just made a comment on Emma Forrest's blog...I hope I'm not bugging the shit out of her, plaguing her blog with my stuff...
But one of the things I find so hard to bear is that so very few people know about my father's disease, ALS...the thing is, he wasn't the only one in my family who died from ALS...my grand-father died 20 prior to him...from ALS.
And...NO...he wasn't my father's father...he was my father's father-in-law...they don't have the same bloodline, and both suffered from the "sporadic" (non-genetic) form of ALS...
That means that I have lost 2 people to ALS...that's 2 too many...
Again, thanx for your kind words :-)
I deeply, intensely fear the day that I lose either of my parents. I have dealt with loss, but all of extended family and twice from a friend my age. I was 'lucky' - those friends weren't my closest friends. I know that when that day comes, when either my mum or dad dies, I will be a wreck. I'm not even sure if I will emotionally survive that. I dread that day more than my own death, honestly.
I admire you for being alive as you are, after you have been through what you have been through. That was beautifully written.
And I agree with Kai - don't worry about Emma's blog. I have the feeling that she enjoys seing the conversations. I think if she didn't she would make it a closed blog or at least monitor the comments. But she doesn't and that's what I like about Emma and her writing - real and raw. So don't worry :-) you can always ask her.
One comment in your blog post really moved me. The "scripted" part. Something feeling like it's a movie and the script being set in stone, and feeling like everybody plays parts. I think that happens to a lot of us when something world-shattering happens or is slowly happening. It happens with every child of divorced parents - you play a part. You can't avoid where the script goes.
But most of all I relate that comment to the period of time when I was in a wheelchair. At first when I was very sick and still laying down all day, I was too numb to "play a patient" - I was nothing, there was nothing left of me. But as I started slowly healing, the script came. At first the wheelchair was a blessing - finally, I could leave my bed and my bedroom. Finally I could slowly start my life again. But then reality kicked in, and so did the script. The powerlessness of being in a wheelchair, the frustration, the will to be different, the fear of it being permanent. That all felt like a movie. And I was forced into that wheelchair, and I couldn't decide where the script was going. Thank f*ck that that one had a happy ending.
Big hug for you *HUG*
...I felt like being cast in a tragically absurd movie...
Yes, I must agree with Nell. That comparison was sad but beautifully written.
I've been to 2 funerals this year, one for my grandpa and one for a really close family friend. If anything were to happen to my mother, I don't know how I'd cope. Death really scares me. I guess writing would be very therapeutic.
***Something feeling like it's a movie and the script being set in stone, and feeling like everybody plays parts***
That's what I meant...there is NO escape...especially with ALS...as there is NO treatment, you're handed the script (i. e. your death sentence) along with the diagnose. We knew how it would end...every single step until the finale. As there is no hope, no cure, no amelioration of the condition...like a scripted play, it left no room for hope or a miracle.
***when I was in a wheelchair*** God...you were in a wheelchair? Why? I can relate to your plight, because my father was in a wheelchair for a long time...until his death.
*Hugs* back, Nelleke!
Akilah, I SO know what you mean.
I'm sorry about your grandpa and your friend.
It doesn't matter how old YOU are or how old the person is that you lose (I so hate this...ah, well he/she got 80...that's pretty good... - it still hurts like Hell.)
Death really scares you...welcome to the club *grins* :-)
The waters may look dark and cold but just remember they are many who love you and will hold your hand and wade into those dark waters with you.
Hey bernthis!
Thanks for your comment!!! I really appreciate it!
Post a Comment