skip to main |
skip to sidebar
In Bruges...
For those of you who liked In Bruges...I have posted some pics that were taken in 2004 and 2007. Bruges is a truly lovely fairy-tale place...with stunningly beautiful buildings and romantic canals, a beautiful backdrop for any movie...
34 comments:
Thanks for the pics Stone!
Lovely, isn't it?
Yep, it really is...I have to say...it's probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen...that being said...it kind of feels like a dead place...I cannot quite explain it...I was in Gent in 2007 - right after having been to Bruges for the 2nd time...and I have to say that I liked Gent (Gand) a LOT better although it isn't as well preserved as Bruges. It felt more like a 'real' place and therefore it felt more "alive"...donno how to explain it...:)
At any rate, I really liked the film...and it was nice to see a different side of Bruges (I had never seen it at night for instance).
PS: Some of the sites on my pics feature in the movie...the moon-thingy on the last photo for instance...interesting that I like the same things as the cinematographer/director of 'In Bruges'...LOL :)
It looks like a place out of a fairy tale. Very Hans Christen Anderson.
I HEART BRUGES!!!!! seriously, I have fallen in love with a city. I will always come back there. And not just for the friends I have there, but also because the place somehow brings me peace of mind.
Thanks for sharing!!
You had me at the chocolate corner! It looks like a beautiful place. I love the canals and the old buildings. It does look like a fairy tale, doesn't it? I haven't seen the film, but I'll add it to my Netflix list. Thanks for the photos Stone. xo
C'est fou comme le "chocolate center" donne envie ^^
Tes photos sont sublime, ce côté claire donne une vision bcp plus jolie de Bruges que le film , non pas que je dise que dans le film c'est mal representer, mais pas aussi jovial.
Cleo, you're absolutely right, Bruges IS a fairytale place...I love Hans Christian Andersen...I only know his tales in German, "Die Schneekönigin", "Das Mädchen mit den Schwefelhölzern"...I absolutely LOVED them as a child.
There is another fairytale writer that I love (your sis might know him)...Wilhelm Hauff...his fairytales are pretty cruel though...a bit "Poesque"...but I LOVE them, as much as I love Poe!!!
Hoe gaat het Nelleke? I know that you love Brugge...that's not hard LOL...it's a lovely place, but like I've said before...it doesn't seem to be alive like other cities...maybe it's because there are so many tourists that you cannot see the locals...:)
BTW...graag gedaan!!! :-)
PS: I just saw in the Flemish news today, that they have built a prison for dangerous inmates in Bruges...LOL...from fairytale place to nightmare place, within a couple of yards...LOL
Kai,
I highly recommend that movie...not only because it shows a different side of this truly magnificent place, but most of all because it's as very ggod film...as simple as that.
What I found amazing is that you actually CARE for people who do despicable things...but that's the thing...even murderers are humans, with fears, feelings, perhaps remorse...that's perhaps why people like Hitler scare us...I don't know if you've seen "The Downfall" (der Untergang), about the last days of Hitler in his bunker...it's a pretty tough watch, but it's worth while...it shows the "human" side of the Führer, while at the same time, it shows his madness, his arrogance, his inhumanity.
Back then, there was a HUGE controversy about the movie here in Germany...and some people were outraged at the fact that the film depicted him as a human being.....but the thing is...he was a human being!
Watch "In Bruges" first...it's the funnier film LOL!
Merci Dihya!
T'as raison, dans le film, la ville était un peu "sombre", mais bon, c'était un sujet assez sombre et en plus le film a été tourné en hiver...j'ai jamais été a Bruges en hiver, mais j'estime que c'est tout autre chose en été.
Merci de ton compliment...:)
I'll also add The Downfall. I love all kinds of historical and biographical stories, so I'm sure I'll appreciate this one too. A comedy about people who do awful things? I don't know why I thought In Bruges was a buddies on a road trip movie ... hmmm. I'll check it out. Thanks. xo
Hmmm...it IS buddies on a trip kind of movie (like a maried couple...one constantly nagging LOL)- you have to see it for yourself...it doesn't fit into any category :-)
Oh, if I may recommend another German film..."The Lives of Others"- I don't know, but I have probably already mentioned that one to you...and "Head On" (Gegen die Wand) by Fatih Akin...and..."Good Bye Lenin"...beautiful!
"Good Bye Lenin" and "The Lives of Others" both deal with communist Germany..."Good Bye Lenin" is some kind of comedy, but in many scenes, I had tears in my eyes...
Thanks for the movie suggestions. Last movie night, we watched The Children's Hour and The Nun's Story, both oldies starring Audrey Hepburn.
"The Lives of Others" is a great film.
I'd like to go to that chocolate place.
I OWN that chocolate place and would not trust any of you near it!
;)
***I OWN that chocolate place and would not trust any of you near it!***
LMAO...you're a very very MEAN person, Akilah! Thanx for NOT sharing that chocolate with us...LOL.
Uh lala Elizabeth...they have lovely chocolate in Belgium...EVERYWHERE in Belgium...and I also like the "fritjes" (fries...lekker!!). Well...that's ONE destination for your Euro-trip next year!
I'm glad you liked "The Lives of Others"...it's a genuine masterpiece in my book, and this is one of the 1st if not the first film in which communist Germany is portrayed in a dramatic way...for many years, people only made comedies (good comedies) about the GDR...nobody had the heart to write a dramatic piece - I guess it was still too much alive in people's hearts at that time...
Kai...is "The Children's Hour" the one with Hepburn and Shirley Maclaine? I think it's called "Infam" here in Germany...I saw it on TV recently here...and I loved "The Nun's Story" when I was a kid...I haven't seen it in ages...
Yes. The Children's Hour is the one with Shirley McClaine. I liked it, even though I thought it was very melodramatic at times. It's a good story.
Akilah ... I adore you but I will fight you for chocolate.
Must add Belgium to the list of places to go eat chocolate ... and don't they do beer really well too?It's good I don't live there ...
Isn't Belgium the place with over 400 different beers? Wow!!
Kai, I hear ya'...the fight is on!
There's a funny Axe Body Spray commercial where the man is made of chocolate and getting pieces ripped off.
Here's a youtube clip of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0MfbJE69Bo
Hoe gaat het Nelleke? I know that you love Brugge...that's not hard LOL...it's a lovely place, but like I've said before...it doesn't seem to be alive like other cities...maybe it's because there are so many tourists that you cannot see the locals...:)
BTW...graag gedaan!!! :-)
Ah, I see, now I have to try at German *LOL* Es geht mir gut! Und wie geht's mit dir? Brugge ist wie ein Traum, besonders winters weil da nicht viel Touristen sind - Januar und Februar sind ideal. Während diese Jahreszeit ist Brugge wie ein Märchen. Verlassen, nebelig, kalt. Genau wie es ist in "In Bruges".
Sorry that was TERRIBLE German. I never know when to use "in/im" and "der/die/das" and all that crap. Someday I will learn!
Above post had to be reposted because of terrible spelling errors LOL
***Isn't Belgium the place with over 400 different beers?***
I don't know if they have *400* beers, but the sure have a LOT of beers :-)
I like *Kriek*...a cherry beer :)
That wasn't bad at all, Nell...you don't give yourself enuf credit, seriously!
German is such a difficult language (even for us LOL!)...the verbs, 3 different "genders", the declinations, dynamic prepositions blablabla...I'm so glad I'm a native speaker and I don't have to pull through all that grammar shyte :)
in/im...sprich's ganz schnell aus, dann hört's eh keiner *grins*...das mit den Artikeln ist echt kompliziert - es gibt zwar Regeln, wann man den weiblichen, den sächlichen oder den männlichen Artikel benutzt (das hab' ich auch erst gelernt, als ich selbst Deutsch unterrichtet habe Hahaha), aber das ist auch alles ziemlich komplex.
*Im* steht für "in dem" (im Dativ / Frage nach wem?)...
Holländer könnnen in aller Regel sowieso sehr gut Deutsch...
Dein Deutsch war vielleicht nicht total perfekt, aber alles andere als "terrible" - in jedem Fall besser, als mein Holländisch (ähem, das ist allerdings auch nicht allzu schwer!)...:-)
PS: Does anybody know what happened to Kai's blog...it has been removed?!?
j'ai passer la journée à me poser la question aussi !! Et pas moyen de lui envoyer un mail :s
J'espère qu'il n'y a rien de grave.
Well, what happened was ... uhm ...
the dog ate my blog!
Do kids use that one for missing homework where you are Stone?
I can still easily see when all my favorite blogs are updated so you're not rid of me. :)
I'll be watching The Downfall tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.
Why did you take it down...
The dag ate it, hahahahaha...No, I've never gotten that one, but who knows, perhaps I will.
At least I know that you're still "out there"!
You can email me if you want (my addy is attached to my profile)!
Au moins, Dihya on sait maintenant qu'elle va bien :)
Kai,
The movie "The Downfall" is brilliant, but it's very very gloomy...you have been warned LOL.
Let me know if/how you liked it.
Oui je suis rassurée ^^
Gloomy - yes. That it is. I'm glad I saw it. It'll take a while for me to get my head all the way around it. The acting was amazing. The blond boy was incredible. How heartbreaking was that?? I wonder what became of him. The character, not the actor. I loved the music at the end, too. Listened twice. Thanks for the suggestion. From now on, include a count of self-inflicted gun shots to head and sawing off of limbs with your suggestions - just so I can prepare myself. This girl is a little squeamish :) x
LOL LOL...I had warned you, Kai :-)
It's pretty extreme, but the story/film is based on the autobiography of Hitler's secretary - that makes the film kind of realistic/authentic.
Yeah, the acting was amazing indeed...the worst part for me was when the wife of Goebbels poisoned her kids...I almost ran out of the theater...unbearable...
I'm glad you "liked" it...the film was an eye opener for me...
Yes - when the kids were poisoned killed me. I originally mentioned that in my comment to you, but thought maybe I shouldn't in case someone reading hasn't seen it. The oldest daughter knew what was happening -- I just KNOW it, and that was heartbreaking. Still mulling it over ... It'll stay with me, that's for sure.
Oh gee...I hope you're not traumatized by it...but it's true...it stays with you for a while...
Hahaha thanks Stone :-P I really like the idea "just say it fast" LOL that's what I do when I have to speak German. I've always wanted to learn German perfectly some day. So some day ;-) I have a Dutch friend who speaks it soooo well it's scary. Germans think she's German.
German is SO fricking difficult...I have the utmost respect for anybody who speaks it well...I don't even think that *I* speak German perfectly...that's why we have our lovely *Duden*...LOL...
Er schwamm, er schwomm...hahaha...I don't know...that's how good my German is...LOL
Post a Comment