Friday, January 16

Fame and Fortune...


I left this comment on Elizabeth's blog, but I found it "relevant" enough in order to post it again - on my blog this time...

My take is this, regardless of the fact that these people are stinking rich and/or famous, they're human beings in the first place - with feelings, doubts, fears, hopes, dreams, old wounds etc.
I don't think that you ought to trade your dignity for fame and fortune - and online slander, as much as razzi pics or tabloid gossip, hurts and damages said dignity - and no amount of money on Earth can make up for the cruelty and the heart-ache in my book.
The thing is...whether they're stinking rich and/or a Hollyweird A-lister, I REFUSE to see anything but a fricking HUMAN BEING in these people, regardless of who they are...in fact, I simply can't see anything else in them, because at the end of the day, that's what they are.
These people aren't better or more important than you and me, but at the same time they aren't "lesser". They shouldn't be (ab-)used as laughing-stock for the amusement of the masses and/or cashed in on by the press (the yellow press to be precise) at the cost of their privacy and dignity.

We're all in the same boat (it's called life btw) it is that fucking simple!
All the money society, i. e. us, pays these people doesn't give society, i. e. us, the right to treat these people poorly.
And all the accolades and privileges don't make up for a daily kick in the butt - below the belt.

This is such a fucking sick business, and while I find that these people are insanely over-paid and equally over-rated (Jesus, they're entertainers - 'Court Jesters' if you will - they cannot walk on water, cure cancer or end world famine), I also think that the total loss of privacy or the loss of basic human rights (like the right to dignity and respect) is a price no one should have to pay - despite a bunch of kazillion Dollar paychecks...it's cruel and un-called for.

I really wish the film industry and the press would cut down on this madness and focus on 'good films' and 'good acting' again...


31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here here Stone. Well said.
I don't have awe for anyone. I treat everyone the same. Rich or poor famous or not.People are just that people.

Stone said...

**People are just that people.**

Exactly...I don't understand neither...this need to either put people on a pedestal in order to admire and idolize them (why do something like that...they ain't smarter, wiser or necessarily happier, let alone more interesting, inspirational, insightful than the people you potentially have in your life!)...nor do I understand the need to put them down (actually, many people like to do both...they put them on a pedestal and then they can't bear this feeling of inferiority, of inadequacy that they feel towards their "idol", thus, they put their idols down - i. e. they enjoy razzi pics that make their idols look bad etc etc...this relieving realization...oh see, Madonna looks just as shitty as I do without make-up).
While this can be semi-entertaining up to a certain point and while this is pretty "human" - we have reached a point where the attention these people get is becoming dismal and sick...and where things are completely blown out of proportion.

It's just as you say - I guess we're quite similar in that respect - people are people...and I have awe for people who deserve awe...relief workers, people flying around in helicopters/driving around in ambulances, saving people's lives, nurses, medical staff in general...etc etc...

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Interesting Dame Stone. I agree. I was in a "daze" for one celebrity and that's because I was about 15/16 years old. I actually feel bad for some famous people. They are pretty much told if they don't like the intrusion, then they shouldn't have gotten into the business. Isn't that a load of crap? They provide us with an escape, whether by film, music, art, photography, etc. Thanks for that "escape" but I'm not about to worship your ass!

There are fame whores out there who crave our attention and want us to put them on pedestals. But there are still celebs who enjoy their craft and want to give us their best performance while still having some sense of normalcy. Back in the day, we did not treat famous people like this. It's gotten way out of hand.

Stone said...

***Interesting Dame Stone.***

Where's my fricking pedestal...servants...bring me my fricking pedestal AT ONCE...ahem :-)

***I actually feel bad for some famous people. They are pretty much told if they don't like the intrusion, then they shouldn't have gotten into the business.***

My point exactly!!
And yes, that is a load of crap...you shouldn't have to hand in your civil rights and your personal space once you pick a profession that involves the public...
Yeah...the "fame whores"...Vic Beckham, Ms Hilton and what's-her-face-ex-of-Hugh-Grant...these people REALLY bug the shit out of me - and in these cases, I DON'T have a lot of sympathy, 'cos they're really craving this shit...attention seekers who often try to compensate a very low self-esteem (Vic B. comes to mind)...they're wanna-bees......that has nothing to do with being an artist.

I absolutely agree with you...it's gotten WAY out of hand...the press craze as much as the pay checks...seems that these two correlate :-)

*Akilah Sakai* said...

When you have a photog exhibit one day, you'd better not change on us ... or else!
;)

Anonymous said...

Well ... seems to me from the actions of a lot of famous people that a good many of them think that they are above everyone else. A lot of them (Madonna being one) demand special treatment wherever they go. I haven't seen Elizabeth's blog yet today so I don't know exactly what we're talking about here. But, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the famous. Self promotion is a part of the job. The press is the celebrities best friend. Tabloids are horrible but there are a lot of excellent musicians and actors I admire that I never see on Perezhilton or the National Enquirer. They do interviews and that's that. Who exactly are we feeling sorry for here? Maybe you can change my mind with details.

Don't hate me ...

:)

*Akilah Sakai* said...

I totally believe many thrive on the attention and are straight up media whores. But there is still a whole slew of celebs who try to keep a low profile. But, the paps still chase them around for the money shot. And don't be a fuck up and then try to be private afterwards cause once you're on the radar, that's it (and I think that sucks). Thing is, the entire world of celeb-dom has changed. It's like a race to be on the most magazine covers! And with all these sites that didn't exist before, it's 1,000 times worse than back in the day. I find the media to be very disrespectful at times and there are also a lot of disrespectful celebs as well. It's not cut & dry with famous people, there's good ones and bad ones.

And do you see the things the media says about young female celebs?! Harsh! The current generation growing up in front of our eyes are fucked! What it takes to be famous is warped these days and sadly that's what they are being taught. What's cool is not cool, but they are being fed bullshit. It's all about $$$$$

Stone said...

**When you have a photog exhibit one day, you'd better not change on us ... or else!**

Uh, ah, uh, ah...now I'm REALLY scared...NOT LOL...you know, I'll be fourty this year (yikes!!)...I guess I'm a bit too old in order to change because of a little bit of success :-)

***that a good many of them think that they are above everyone else***

I absolutely agree, Kai.
But one of the reasons people like Madonna think they're "above" everybody else, is that we have given them so much power...over-paid, over-rated...they have all these bootlickers and yay-sayers around them...I do believe that some of these celebs can't deal with that type of attention/special treatment and after a while, they simply lose touch with reality.
Huge paychecks and having things YOUR way all the time, no matter what, is something incredibly unhealthy.

I agree with you and Akilah...there are definitely those who deserve to get this type of shyte...as they ASK for it...and then there are artists who manage to stay out of the limelight.
But as you say, you have to "sell yourself"...you can barely do that without the press, without publicity.
I'm just saying that all of this is over the top...
They shouldn't be paid all that cash, they shouldn't be put on these fricking pedestals, they shouldn't have all these privileges - at the same time, they should be left alone, full stop.

It all boils down to respect...and there isn't much respect in that business - on either side.
But while I highly criticize the behavior of individuals like Madonna or Mariah Carey (they make me wanna puke!), I also critizise the behavior of the papps, the tabloid reporters etc.
With regard to Madonna et al...we have created these Frankenstein-monsters...they're our creatures.
If we lost interest (this over-the-top interest) and if things went back to normal, these people wouldn't be able to be as demanding as they are.
Besides, as much as there are celebs who crave celebrity, it is my guess that stardom is a double-edged sword for most of them...and again, million dollar paychecks are no compensation for the shit some of them are put through...(I still remember fotos of that famous person on his deathbed and that sort of thing).
I guess people in the limelight are somewhat schizophrenic...they want this, at the same time, it's too much to digest.
Less would be more I guess...for either side.
I am feeling sorry for those who aren't in it just for the sake of fame...and I would think that there are quite a few who aren't in it for the cash or celebrity, but who still have to deal with a yellow press that is becoming more and more agressive...it's not about journalism or the right to be informed (gossip ain't no news, let alone "real" information)...it's just about money - just as Akilah said.
There are even gangs involved in the Paparazzi business, can you believe it.
My brother told me how this biz works (he's no papp...thank God!)...and it's sickening!!!

To sum this up, I would say that we (society, the press etc) need to change first...cut down on these pay checks, the privileges etc...and above all, cut down on the media coverage...that would already change A LOT - and it would be a lot healthier for either side.
But that ain't gonna happen, as long as the big bucks can be made with celeb pics, gossip and rumours etc.

PS: I would NEVER hate you, Kai :)

Everybody is entitled to have an opinion...that's what makes a discussion interesting...if we all had the same take on things, we wouldn't have a discussion in the first place ;-)

Dihya said...

Ce genre de discussion pourrait tourner des heures et des heures. C'est fou comme les facettes de l'homme sont dingue.
Quand je voit tout ces histoire de paparazzi et les célébrités. Je pourrais comparer cela a des touristes en afriques en plein safari. Les touristes sont les papz et les stars sont les bêtes de foire.
On va pas se voiler la face beaucoup de célébrité "vendent" leur vie, certaine s'en amuse et finissent par en perdre le controle. Mais beaucoup subissent ce systeme essaye de vivre avec en se disant c'est le revers de la medaille.

Pour tout ce qui est de cette "presse" , le genre de magazine que l'on met dans ces toilettes ( même pas pour lire, excusez la vulgarité )
Ils ne se rendent pas compte à quel point ils peuvent "détruire" pour eux c'est un jeu, le jeu du d'abord je te met sur un pieds d'estale ( plus belle femme, pafaite... ) et ensuite je te descend ( regardez elle n'est pas si parfaite, elle a de la céllulite...)
C'est encor pire quand il s'attaque à l'entourage de la célébrité, qui elle n'est pas célébre et qui n'a rien demander.

Et le pompom dans tout ca , ce sont LES CRETINS SOUS DEVELOPPER qui croient ce genre de presse, "c'est ecrite dans machin donc c'est vrai"

Ces dernières années le nombres de paparazzi a du tripler si ce n'est plus. C'est le metier le plus simple à faire apres le plus vieux metier au monde.

Stone said...

***Les touristes sont les papz et les stars sont les bêtes de foire.***

LOL LOL :-)

**On va pas se voiler la face beaucoup de célébrité "vendent" leur vie**

T'as complètement raison là...il y en a pas mal...cela me fait penser à Victoria Beckham...je trouve cette fille INSUPPORTABLE...elle me gonfle! Elle est tellement accro à la celebrité, c'est maladif!

***le jeu du d'abord je te met sur un pieds d'estale ( plus belle femme, pafaite... ) et ensuite je te descend ( regardez elle n'est pas si parfaite, elle a de la céllulite...)***

C'est exactement ca! J'ai dit exactement la même chose dans un de mes commentaires ici...il y a des gens qui aiment faire ca...d'abord, ils te mettent sur un pieds d'estale afin de pouvoir t'idolatrer et après ils ne supportent pas leur complexe d'inferiorité envers leur "star", donc ils la rabaissent...c'est complètement malade cette espèce de jeu enfantin.

Dihya said...

Oui voila comme les victoria, les hilton et autres nana qui ne servent pas à grand chose. Je ne comprend pas trop cet etat d'esprit, comme peuvent elles afficher le fait qu'elles ne font rien, Etre célébre pour rien...

Ca aime détruire les gens, de la mechanceté gratuite en plus ils sont payer pour ca, il faut vraiment avoir des nerfs d'acier. Le grand truc en plus en ce moment ces les enfants de stars, stalker des gamins quoi , où va le monde ??
Faire des classements à la con du genre du plus beau bébé au plus laid ! Ils vont trop loin quand il touche aux gosses.

C'est affreux, cette surenchère du paraitre.

On vit dans une monde de fou, ou bien c'est moi qui vient d'un autre monde.

Stone said...

C'est affreux, cette surenchère du paraitre.

BRAVO! C'est tellement maladif et cruel...le look...merde...et comme tu dis, ca commence déjà à 2 mois...le bébé le plus mignon, le bébé le plus laid...my ass...c'est dégénéré!

Vic Beckham et al...Famous for being famous...voilà...c'est tout...il ne savent rien faire, ils (elles) n'ont *aucun* talent...le seul - ils (elles) savent se vendre, et c'est tout...banal, minable et pauvre d'esprit!

Dihya said...

*banal, minable et pauvre d'esprit*

Tout est dit.

Stone said...

:-)

Nell said...

Stone, I totally agree with your post. Very well-worded, too.

However I do want to leave potential room for simple admiration. It happens in all professions, and should not be banned from the acting profession just because these people are overpaid. I've loved films all my life, and I know well that the people I admire in the film industry are in fact just people. But I admire them the same as I admire good historians, or great historical figures.

I hope that once that change that you mention (and we REALLY need) comes, there will also be room for innocent admiration. The kind that doesn't take it to tabloid level or anything near it.

Stone said...

Admiration is one thing...to put someone on a pedestal - having unrealistic attentions - is something entirely different.
This industry and the adolation of so-called "celebs" has reached a level where it has become unhealthy for EACH side...for the so-called celebs as much as for their admirers or society in general...
I have a friend who was a ballet dancer (ex-soliste) and I admire her beyond words...she's never been a star though.
Stardom alone is worth *shit*...there are so MANY out there who are famous for being famous...being an 'artist' is something completely different and being an artist doesn't correlate with stardom and/or paychecks.
That being said, stardom isn't necessarily a contradiction either.
It's just that this craze is competely bloated and over-blown...money-wise (whether it's the paychecks or the price for papp-snapshots), attention-wise, praise-wise, pushiness-wise...it's all way out of proportion, over-the-top, dismal and dysfunctional...all of it.

Anonymous said...

I live in L.A. and have first hand seen what the papparazzi do to the kids of these celebrities and it is shameful and I cannot believe it's not illegal.

Stone said...

Yeah, that's absolutely unbelievable...it's absolutely SICK! I would even say that the razzi/tabloid business is a semi-criminal area, filled with shady individuals who'd sell their granny for a dime.

Anonymous said...

Coucou stone completement hors-sujet mais j'ai lu un de tes commentaires sur le blog d'une habituer de ton blog ou tu causer d'une sale experience avec des descendant algerien. J'espère que je pourrais rehausser un minimum le niveau, en esperant être une bonne experience algérienne lol

Bisous

Stone said...

Ah non non...c'était pas vraiment de sa faute (même si c'était chiant)...c'était con, mais je crois qu'elle a vraiment cru que j'étais comme ces autres crétins (tous des francais bien entendu! Pas nous "allemands"), et il lui a fallu un certain temps afin de comprendre que je n'étais pas comme eux...
C'est vraiment de l'ironie ca...les allemands étaient presque tous des "gauchistes", tandis que les profs francais à Lyon III étaient majoritairement membres du Front National, anti-juif, anti-maghrébin, anti-je-ne-sais-pas-quoi.
Les profs de nationalité francaise étaient les "Nazi" et les profs de nationalité allemande étaient dans l'autre "camp" LOL...

Non, t'en fais pas...même si elle avait été la plus chiante personne du monde, c'est un truc individuel...ca n'a rien a voir avec tout un peuple...
C'est exactement le truc qui me dérange le PLUS par rapport au "stéréotype allemand"...ils n'ont pas tous été des nazis...c'est complètement idiot.
Il faut pas penser qu'on connait un peuple parce qu'on connais quelques individus!

Bisous back at ya!

Anonymous said...

Ah mais c'est fou ca, biensur que tout les allemands n'etait pas nazi c'est completement stupide de croire ca , il y'en avait beaucoup qui etait contre hitler. Les gens sont vraiment idiot, ma pauvre et toi qui doit subir ça.

*il faut pas penser qu'on connait un peuple parce qu'on connais quelques individus!*

Tout a fait et comme on dit il y'a des cons partout.

Ce qui m'exaspère chez les francais ( pas tous bien entendu ) c'est leur manière de 'conseiller' les autres pays etc... Alr qu'il n'assume pas leur passé colonisateur; et n'oublions pas leur France de Vichy.

*majoritairement membres du Front National, anti-juif, anti-maghrébin, anti-je-ne-sais-pas-quoi*

Humm rapelle moi de ne jamais aller à Lyon LOOL

Bisous, toujours passionnant de discuter avec toi.

Sharon said...

You know who's underpaid? WRITERS and TEACHERS!

Stone said...

Ha! Thank you so much Sharon...I'm a *teacher* LOL...
Are you a writer per chance?


Dihya...je vais répndre à ton post plus tard...dois aller à l'école maintenent...A + :-)

Stone said...

Just checked your blog, Sharon...you ARE a writer :)
What do you write? Screenplays (California :)


Je voulais dire "répOndre" LOL...A+ les filles...

Sharon said...

No, I'm in Northern California, the home of brunettes and small boobs. We don't write screenplays around here, we just write books.

Stone said...

***Northern California, the home of brunettes and small boobs.***

LMAO :)

Books...fair enough I'd say :)

Do you write novels or short stories?
And what genre?

BIBI said...

Well said Stone. Well said.

Stone said...

Hi BIBI,

How nice to see you here! Thanx!


Sharon, I'll email you :-)

Stone said...

Dihya, me re-voilà :-)

***Alr qu'il n'assume pas leur passé colonisateur; et n'oublions pas leur France de Vichy.***

Tus sais, c'est un truc qui m'énerve chez les francais - la collectivité je vais dire, parce qu'il y a quand même pas mal d'individus qui en parlent - mais en général, ils aiment se montrer comme victimes...l'autre côté est rarement mentionné et c'était pas rien.
C'est la même chose avec les Autrichiens...de nos jours, ils prétendent être la victime - en réalité, ils ont voulu faire partie du Reich...apart ca...c'est de l'ironie ca...Hitler était un Aurtichien...peu de gens le savent.

Est-ce que tu crois que t'as une attitude différente car ta famille est venue de l'afrique du Nord...est-ce que t'as une autre vue sur la France/les Francais...
J'estime que oui...

Anonymous said...

Ah je savais qu'il etait autrichiens, j'ai bien appris mes cours lol

C'est toujours telement plus facile de se positionner en victime, voila le monde d'aujourd'hui.

Chaque peuple a son histoire, mais pour moi ce qui appartient au passé doit rester au passé. L'histoire pour moi existe afin de ne pas repeter les erreurs, n'ont pas pas pour les perpetuer.

Je ne supporte pas les revanchars, qui veulent se venger sur une histoire qui ne les concerne plus.

Si j'ai une autre vision oui certainement, il faut accpeter son histoire tout simplement, ce qui c'est passer en Algerie , on a attendu pas mal de temps avant d'appeler ca une 'guerre' pour la France c'etait une pacification.

Mais ca fait partie du passer mais encor beaucoup d'algerien ne démort pas et garde une certaine rancoeur.

Stone said...

LOL :)

**L'histoire pour moi existe afin de ne pas repeter les erreurs,**

C'est le plus important, ca! C'est tout ce qui compte...

Et c'est ce qui se passe au proche orient...ils ne peuvent pas oublier le passé...des deux côtés!

La pacification...LMAO...
Est-ce qu'ils ont jamais admis leurs erreurs? Le film "Indigène" était un pas majeur à l'époque - il est sorti quand j'ai habité en France.
Je comprends cette rancoeur...surtout si on a l'impression que les responsables ne se sont jamais excusés...de l'autre côté, il faut commencer à trouver un status quo...il faut lacher le passé un jour ou l'autre.