Saturday, April 18
Das Prinzip Hoffnung...
Geee...it's been ages since I posted for the last time...four full weeks...time flies, really!
I sometimes feel that I don't have all that much to say, but somehow I was intrigued by another blog post tonight...the blogger mentioned B. Obama, the current US president, and the feelings of hope and the "yes, we can" attitude that this president has instilled in her - and in many Americans.
What a difference one person can make...
Comparing the feelings that Obama seemingly instills in people with those that his predecessor instilled in people...Bush being the symbol of FEAR, Obama in contrast being the symbol of HOPE - one cannot help being amazed at the difference a single day can make...that day in November completely transformed the landscape of America and it successfully resurrected a major American quality...American optimism - the very quality that makes America unique, unrivaled...
The ability to stick to the principle of hope, even in the face of adversity, even though times are tough. This undaunted, boundless optimism has pushed America forward, beyond the boundaries of the known world, to the moon...too far at times.
The world could use a little of that "yes, we can" attitude, especially in times like these...this undying hope for a better tomorrow, the indelible conviction that the promised land is at your fingertips, the steadfast belief that the best is yet to come.
After almost a decade spent in fear, it is wonderful to (re-)discover a 'New America'...or rather the 'Old America'...
I wrote the following a while ago:
Ever since the Declaration of Independence, the United States of America have been a beacon of hope for generations of immigrants, for the oppressed, for those who yearn to be free, for millions in quest of a better life.Last night, America turned its back on an administration that has managed to corrupt the very essence of America, the values of a country that has never ceased to inspire the world - with its boundless optimism, its energy and its creativity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
You know what's beautiful, Stone?
People's views from across the globe about this man, his message and America's future. People from other countries who didn't vote in the election being so moved with the change coming in America. He transcends boarders. Our image will improve soon enough.
P.S.
He is not perfect. He will not sign every policy YOU want him to sign. He will not. He will not have a perfect track record. He will not walk on water. If someone likes his message and what his win meant to them, and meant for rebuilding America, it does not mean their head is in the clouds and they feel he can do no wrong. Personally, I feel the right person made it into office November 2008. Period. It's a beautiful thing. Period.
I know he ain't the messiah, and he cannot turn water into wine - and he alone won't be able to solve our global problems (financial crisis, climate crisis)...but...compared to Bush he's damn close to Florence Nightingale if you know what I mean.
In comparison to Bush and his cronies, ANYONE looks like the most competent and eloquent person on the globe.
It ain't very hard to do better than Bush, 'cos you can't do much worse - at least in a democracy!
I think people are just relieved...there was NOTHING good coming from America in the last 8 years...just fear, threats, bullying, no to Kyoto, no to peace, torture, deaths a thousand fold and ignorance paired with boundless arrogance.
Obama said today that he considers the world community *partners* - and I believe him...in Bush's eyes, the rest of the world was an assembly of superfluous cockroaches...he spit people in the face...no wonder he was hated almost everywhere...he didn't give a fricking shit about anyone...he had ZERO respect for anyone, nations, individuals, the UN...
I think Bush has no respect for himself in the 1st place and his years and years of drug and alcohol abuse have seemingly severely damaged his brains if you ask me...someone with such a record shouldn't be allowed to rule a country, any country...especially a country with nukes!
Thank God Bush is gone. As for Obama, I think he lacks courage. He wants everyone to "get along" which is nice, but sometimes people need to be punished for their misdeeds. The law needs to be enforced. So far it does not look like he is big on enforcing international law. No prosecution of torturers, a free pass to Israel, bomb civilians in Afghanistan. I am rather surprised in a way, as he was a law professor. But mostly he is a politician. Also, I think his background of being biracial contributes to the "we all need to get along" approach that is sadly unrealistic and in the long run will make more enemies than friends because your friends won't like you ultimately if they don't respect you.
***Thank God Bush is gone.***
Amen to that! Maybe you're right, maybe he compromises too much. I'm still optimistic though, we'll see...
After 8 years of hitting a brick wall, 8 years of zero tolerance and no compromises, perhaps a more (too) compromising US president would do the world some good.
We've had our share of concrete-headed hard-liners...
PS: I also don't think that you gain people's respect by being tough and uncompromising.
You gain people's respect if you give people the feeling that you genuinely try to understand their standpoint and that you - while not necessarily *sharing* said standpoint - at least accept their mindset/opinion...
Live and let live...
Welcome back honey.
:)
So glad to hear from you :-)
Glad you are blogging again - and agree with your hopeful sentiments re Obama. I just can't imagine how he is coping with the pressure on his shoulders. There are such great expectations from him - he could never hope to live up to what people are expecting him to solve and rescue.
No, certainly not...he's only human.
But I think that he was aware of the immense pressure and I remember him saying a couple of times throughout his inauguration speech that the problems the US and the world were facing were immense and that it would take more than "his four years in office" to solve them.
I think already back then he knew full well how much people were expecting...and that's not very surprising for a nation that has spent 8 horrible years in quiet despair.
Nice to see you here again :)
Hello Stone, or should I say "guten tag"? Dropping in here for the first time, so it may take a couple of visits to read some of your past posts, but I like what I see hear at the top already... thanks for dropping by today. Jeez, so I wasn't the first blogger to ever go to Perouges? At least I wasn't the only one intrigued by all that corn on the ceiling... To answer your question, no, I don't live near Lyon, though I love that region... we live alot farther north, and we're out in Brittany on vacation right now... another area I love alot.
Quite agree with what you and others are saying about Obama here... what a relief that Bush is history ! You said you are in Germany, but your English sounds pure American...??? Tchuss...
Hallihallo Owen,
I'm "pure German" LOL...but I studied English and I'm currently working as an English (/French) teacher at a highschool here in Germany.
Don't tell me you're a Ch'ti...:)
I have friends in the north of France (near Valenciennes) and they're the true kind of "Ch'ti", accent, Maroilles cheese and all.
Well, thanks for the compliment...I' not a native speaker of English...I kind of feel really flattered now :)
Yeah, the sweet corn...LOL...if I find the pic, I can email it to you...seriously, you'll have a laugh 'cos the pics resemble one another like "2 gouttes d'eau."
PS: I had wanted to tell you that I really like your photos.
I suppose that you took them?
My brother is a photographer and I'm seriously thinking about doing more with passion for photography.
At any rate, great pics!
Tschüß for now!
I guess I'm still trying to figure out what Obama really believes.
If people are truly wrong, I don't think you should compromise to take into account their views. I just read a poll that said that slightly less than half of Americans believe torture is ok in some circumstances and it can yield valuable information. This viewpoint is factually incorrect and morally wrong and is probably encouraged by TV shows. Right now Obama seems to be compromising in deference to those people. That isn't right. How can you compromise on something like that? This is a problem with democracy of course. Uninformed people can be easily misled and corrupted and it's up to those who know better to make the right decisions.
**I just read a poll that said that slightly less than half of Americans believe torture is ok in some circumstances and it can yield valuable information.**
Encouraged by TV shows (à la 24!) and by Mr. Bush himself. It was OK for him and he made torture an acceptable "tool" in the name of liberty and security.
I still can't complain about Obama, compared to Bush, his administration is almost God-like (well, minus the plane incident in NY...wtf??!!).
Post a Comment