Wednesday, February 10

For a friend...


I had dreaded the death of Natalie's father ever since I'd met her in London.
Life is strange sometimes, stranger than fiction. In a genuine twist of fate, the universe had the two of us meet in London in the summer of 2007 during a field trip organized by a friend of mine who teaches English at the university. Natalie was one of her students - we have been friends ever since...
I met her father a couple of times and I still recall our conversations and our trip to Bernkastel.
As sad as it is, in a strange way, her father's death has given me some peace of mind...so that amid all the sadness, it feels as if a huge weight that I'd been carrying around with me for the last 6 years had been magically lifted. I don't know why and I can't explain it, but for the first time since my father's death, I feel at peace...

4 comments:

Akilah Sakai said...

Like I told you, despite the sadness and heartache of this, I smile because you were also able to take something from Natalie's loss and ease some of your own pain instead of it being yet another weight on your heart for a friend's loss. And because you two share a common bond and understanding, I know you will be there for her and truly know what she's gone through. It's positively wonderful you two met, that is clearly evident.

Stone said...

She's down in the dumps at the moment...that's the way it is...once the silence sets in, the event finally sinks in - and that's when it starts to really hurt.
I'm kind of hurting too...cos it's such a shame he is gone...
And yes, it's kinda wonderful that we met...as if it were by magic...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss and hate to hear you're hurting. You have a lovely knack for finding beauty. Friendship is magic. I'm glad you two found each other. I know you'll be a comfort to her.

xo

Stone said...

:-) So am I Kai! It cuts both ways really...
And miraculously, this effect has been even strengthened ever since...the light is back somehow...