Tuesday, October 28
Amok...
A student has threatened to run *amok* at our school.
A handwritten message was found on a desk by which a student declared that he/she/they would run amok today - police was called, students were sent home, we the teachers are clueless. We have to take this seriously - this might be a very sick joke or dead serious...you simply can't tell. I tend to believe that it was a joke...a very sick joke...but we've been asking ourselves today how we would deal with such a situation should it really occur. What are you supposed to do under such circumstances...there is nothing written about *amok* in the teacher's manual. It's just scary and fucking frustrating...Do I really want to do this job? What's the fucking matter with our youth...even if this was meant to be a joke, what does it say about the state our teens are in...
I'm speechless, clueless...
How would you behave? What would you do? Would you lock yourself and your class up in your classroom? I seriously don't know...we are all clueless...
Any suggestions??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I already emailed you, but I figured I'd post it here, too, in case anyone ever wondered again and ended up here :-)
- make obstacles, these kids are in a hurry (they're outnumbered) and unless they have a clear target they will move on if it's too hard to get in, or if the target isn't easy
- try to stay calm knowing that this person is outnumbered and is relying solely on gun intimidation, have a healthy respect for the gun, but know that it doesn't make up for the fact that surrounded by hundreds of people, at some point this kid will have their back turned to someone
- they act on impulses, no matter how well planned their amok is (they usually plan weeks or months ahead) because there's adrenaline and of course there's the randomness of reality - you can't plan how people respond, so they will be driven by the moment.
- don't try and reason with them because they'll only make you a target
- lock the door if you can
- make sure you and students hide behind/under furniture
- call 911 (or whatever the number is)
- whatever you do, make sure the people/students around you don't scream or yell, this will only attract attention, make sure they also know that the shooter is outnumbered... like I said you need a healthy respect for the weapon, but you can't pass on clear chances to stop this person out of panic or fear. So make sure people know these things.
I spoke to you via email as well. Just dropping by to say I really hope it was just a sick joke. Too much violence with the young crowd these days. We don't need anymore...
You're in my thoughts, Stone.
Yikes. Stone, I hope you're safe and this turns out to be a prank. I have no idea what I would do ... time to add this chapter to the teacher's manual internationally. How sad. Let us know what happened. xo
**lock the door if you can**
I think that's the best thing to do...we would be too many to run through the building.
I do believe that it's very sick joke and I've calmed down since yesterday (although I was having funny dreams)...
You're right, Kai, it's just SAD...sad that you have to deal with this type of shit...
Thanx for your input gals, and your advice...but most of all for listening...
I guess I just needed to share this and I was incapable of talking about this on the phone...I really don't know why, I'm usually pretty talkative...thanx again :)
I think that societies need to acknowledge that public schools are the first line of defense in anything that has to do with children, because it's the one place that children are required to go to, and they go without their parents. So every school should be equipped with mental health professionals and law enforcement and teachers should be trained to spot signs of mental illness and child abuse.
I agree with you Elizabeth. So much crap is going on these days at our schools that parents fear sending their young ones each and every day!
***So every school should be equipped with mental health professionals and law enforcement and teachers should be trained to spot signs of mental illness and child abuse.***
Amen to that Elizabeth!!!
It was most probably a prank, but the prankster is in dire trouble now...police are investigating, etc etc...the student will be expelled from school...what a brilliant way to fuck up your life...sad and stupid!
Post a Comment